Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Good Bye, Pizza (or so I thought)

It's almost amusing now when I have conversations with some people about what I can or cannot eat due to a gluten allergy. Once I break it down, there's a good chance that person will say: "Gasp! That means no pizza!" Yep, sad day for me. Pizza is a gluten paradise that I will no longer surf in. And the near tears begin.

Now I've tried pre-made pizza shells. They're fine in a pinch...but when the pre-baked personal pan pizza size shell itself costs the same as a large pizza at the yummy joint (not GF) down the road, I can't bring myself to making it. I tried one brand of GF flour and the pizza tasted like pancakes with marinara sauce. Not pleasant. So imagine my hesitation when I saw this little guy on the shelves at my local Wegmans:
I picked up the box and the smell of oregano was so lovely. Chebe is a product of Brazil. Gluten free, dairy free, corn free, and a bunch more allergen friendly labels decorated the sides. And it was a third of the price of the pizza shell that I usually buy. I figured that would be a good experimental dinner.

It was super easy to mix, which many GF doughs are down right sticky and a horror to try to mush into a pizza pan. This was not at all! So I was already excited about that. I topped my pizza with sauce, cheese, chopped pineapples, and sliced onion.
The directions said to bake for 15-18 minutes, but I like my crust a little crispy so I had it in for 20. The cheese got a bit well done, though.

Overall, a delicious pizza! My hubby was even impressed. Just a few tips that I may try to do next time:
  • Do not go overboard on the sauce. We used a fork to eat it because we couldn't pick it up. Plus it was a touch soggy.
  • Same with the cheese....went a little nuts considering I still had other toppings to add.
  • I may try lower temp for a longer period of time to ensure the doneness of the dough and not burn the cheese.
I am pretty stoked that I have a pizza that I can go to during those times when all I want is cheese, sauce, and dough in a circular shape. :)

Happy eating,
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment